Saturday, September 4, 2010

Time to be Sweet!

I love sweets. I’m talking beyond a normal obsession. My marketing project in college was a business plan for opening a candy store. I worked for a corporate office in the candy department. Personal favorites include candy cigarettes, nerds (including branch-offs such as nerd ropes and nerd gum balls) and peanut butter M&M’s just to name a few.

This passion for sugar comes honest – I inherited it from my father. One summer I was struggling with a gift for Daddy’s birthday. My brother and I had pulled together the year before with a case of PBR (arguably one of our best gifts ever – he enjoyed one while we played croquet that year!).  But this year…I was stumped.

In the midst of this, I realized I was out of my candy cigarette stash. Yes, I kept a stash. Candy cigarettes were WAY too expensive to buy at regular candy stores so I had found a place online, Old Time Candy, where I could order boxes of them for cheap. (I warned you it was beyond a normal obsession, right?) I started shopping around and discovered this brilliant idea…

Candy through the decades!



Yes, candy that my father had grown up snacking on but rarely found in stores anymore…all in one place – a convenient boxed set! I’m not going to lie, I was pretty excited about this one!

I ordered the box (along with my candy cigarettes!) and waited anxiously for the birthday event to arrive.

You have no idea the happiness these little burst of sugar give me...

The best part of this gift is…it’s the gift that keeps on giving! When I gave it to my dad, he immediately opened it up to see what kind of goodies awaited his tastebuds. Some of the candies were stuff I’d heard of…some of them I had never seen before in my life. He had stories about all of them – places he used to buy these candies, friends who loved this candy, which ones were his favorites, etc. My brother and I got to see and try all these candies our dad used to eat growing up as a kid. It was a pretty fun filled afternoon!



The boxes come in 2 or 4 pound assortments and you can choose from the 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s or choose an assortment of all four decades. 2 pound boxes are $19.99 and 4 pound boxes are $29.99. If you go to Old Time Candy’s website, they have a list of candies you might find in these assortments. Disclaimer: Don’t be surprised if you wind up spending time on this website, so make sure you have the time to spend…the variety of candy you can find there is ridiculous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment