Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Gift Card Dilemma

My friend Amber (you can see her blog here) got married a few years ago. Even though we had gone to the same small college, we didn’t become friends until after graduation. Actually, the night she became engaged was one of the first nights I hung out with her.

That being said, I was around for her engagement period. I’m not saying we were super close BFF’s, but we had fun together and became good friends. As her wedding day approached, I asked her what her and her fiancé, Steven, needed or wanted at that point from their registry. She went through the usual, “we’re happy with whatever you choose to give us” but after digging a little deeper she said that gift cards would be welcome so they could put them together to buy some of their more expensive items on their registry.

The gift card dilemma. I. Hate. Giving. Gift. Cards. Mind you, I love RECEIVING them, but for me, it’s just a little too impersonal.  But that’s what the bride said she needed! Can I put aside my personal feelings on gift cards to give the bride what she asked for?

Of course I can. In my own way.

One of my favorite accessories to any gift is a quality gift basket. I tribute this to my mom and her friend Carole – my mom used to make gift baskets and sell them in my dad’s store and Carole has the coolest shop of unique items and makes gift baskets.

To start with my gift card solution, I sought the perfect basket. I think the one I bought was from Old Time Pottery (if you don’t have one near you, I’m so sorry…you are deprived. I miss them so much!). Something like this is fine:
$9.95 at Crate & Barrel

Usable and fashionable.  And not $50!

Amber had been on a hunt to find a red wine that she can enjoy drinking. (I hear she is still on this hunt!) I put a bottle of my favorite red wine in the basket:
Don’t judge, it’s less than $10 a bottle and I love it. My mouth is watering…

She and Steven had also recently brought home two Boxer puppies, Dixie & Bauer. I grew up with pets and knew that animals have a way of becoming your family instantly. So I made sure to include a little special treat for the newest members of the new family:
These are from Sensational Sweets, 12 for $9.00 but I’m pretty sure I just went to a local shop.

Nestled inside the perfect card was the desired gift card. I spent less than $20 on the other personal gifts and was still able to give a good amount on the gift card. Maybe they would have rather gotten more money on the gift card – but when I give a gift, I want to be happy with it. This way, everyone got what they came for and I could give more than just the gift card!


No comments:

Post a Comment