Thursday, November 25, 2010

Stop and Listen


First off, Happy Thanksgiving! Now the gift-giving season is REALLY in swing so I'll try to keep the blog going more frequently. Final papers are due next week and the following week so I'll definitely have more time to post after that along with a guest blog or two!

One of the easiest ways to find a gift for someone that’s truly special…is by listening. Just in everyday conversation, all throughout the year. I keep a running list all year that when I hear someone say something like “I used to love ___” or “I wish I had ___” I write it down. Around the holidays most people aren’t so forthcoming with things they want. But the rest of the year, just take notes!

I went to lunch with my husband’s grandmother over a month ago to a local place called Cozy’s. The town we live in is the closest town to Camp David so there are a few local haunts where Presidents will go when they are in town. Cozy’s has a mini museum inside their building that goes through each of the Presidents and any ties they have to the area.

After we had lunch, she took me into the museum part. Considering she’s 80 years old and had a stroke nearly 2 years ago, she has a ton of memory. She started telling me about how Camp David came to be and how there was a movie that she used to watch with her father that was the inspiration behind Camp David. She just mentioned how she hadn’t seen that movie in forever and bet you couldn’t find it anymore.

Well, that set off an alarm in my head – a challenge! I went straight home, did some minor research and found it on Amazon for $10. 


I think we’re going to frame a picture of the family from our wedding to put with it, but it’s a gift that will mean something to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment