Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cha-Ching!

I’m about to let you in on a great money saver gift giving solution.
The holidays can get crazy expensive without even realizing it. I mean, especially if you have a big family or get married, suddenly the 4 or 5 people you used to get gifts for turns into 25. I’m not willing to spend big bucks in December, only to spend January stressed out and in debt. Not for me, thanks. So….
I embraced my credit card in a good way. My credit card gives me a point for every dollar I spend. They round up, too, which definitely works in my favor. They also have an online shopping “mall.” Basically, if I go through my credit card’s website and use my credit card at their “mall,” I get “x” number of points per dollar. Usually anywhere from 2-10 but they have promotions every month and the number can skyrocket.
I use my credit card to pay for my grad school (at $3,025 per class plus books, that’s a biggie right there). I use my credit card for groceries. If I see something I’m going to get and it’s available through my credit card mall, I get it through the credit card mall, even if it’s a store close by – but only if I can find a free shipping coupon.
My points accumulate throughout the year and I don’t touch them…until around November. Then I start evaluating where I’m going to buy gifts from this year…and redeem my credit card points for gift cards. I’ve bought over $200 worth of Christmas presents this year…on gift cards. And I still have a lot more points to go! Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, restaurants, movies…anything I want. Even if they don’t have a gift card for a store I want (I love my local stores), I can get Visa gift cards (they cost a few more points but it’s not that significant).
It’s important to point out that I don’t just use my credit card for any and everything that I don’t have the money for. I pay my credit card off each and every month, without fail. I have savings for my grad school..so as soon as it goes on my credit card, the money comes out of savings and pays my credit card. As long as you’re diligent about it, it’s fine.
It’s in your favor to check your credit card’s options…if they don’t offer rewards, get one that does! My Christmas never financially straps me. And if there’s points left over, sometimes I buy myself a gift card to somewhere I want (Carrabba’s…mmmmm!).
Just something to consider since you’re spending money anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment